The Protein Challenge 2040, an international pre-competitive collaboration involving retailers and producers, has released a report to accompany the launch of three pilot projects.
The report, Shaping the Future of Protein, outlines how innovation and action in three key areas can accelerate sustainable protein, and describes how three new pilot projects are taking up the challenge.
The three areas for action are:
- Scaling up sustainable animal feed innovation to reduce dependency on soya and fish meal
- Increasing the proportion of plant-based protein consumption with consumers, with the target of a 50% increase by 2040 in the UK and US
- Reducing protein loss and waste by at least 50% globally by 2040
And the pilot projects are:
- Feed Compass: a framework to gather the key criteria for sustainable animal feed, and a tool to assess and compare different feed solutions
- Chef's Challenge: a campaign in collaboration with leading chefs to increase the consumption of plant-based proteins
- Plant Protein Stamp: a nationally recognised stamp in the US, indicating the amount of plant-based protein in consumer packaged goods.