Power Up Odisha (PUO) is an ambitious initiative that wants to accelerate progress towards a power system that enables 24x7 Power for All and supports the sustainable development of Odisha. Working closely with the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) and the UK Department for International Development (DFID), Forum for the Future is bringing together stakeholders from across the state to explore a vision that provides a shared sense of direction for the future energy system in Odisha.
This report draws together the insights gathered from a stakeholder workshop in late 2016, to identify the design principles for this vision. They include:
- view energy as the means to multiple ends, not an end in itself (e.g. contributing to improved health, livelihoods and education outcomes and economic prosperity)
- decentralise not just technology and access, but also decision making and management (e.g. customers and consumers should be empowered to generate and manage their own energy)
- take a whole system approach that looks at financial models, infrastructure, policy frameworks and technologies
- locally driven innovation
- long-term investment planning in energy infrastructure and performance monitoring systems
- an equitable and complimentary mix of technology
- public participation in policy decision-making.
Find out more about Power Up Odisha here: https://www.forumforthefuture.org/project/power-up-odisha/overview