Our Oceans Challenge (OOC) is an organisation set up by a coalition of maritime industries and key knowledge institutes, including the World Ocean Council (WOC), in 2014. Its mission is to discover and support innovative and sustainable solutions to ocean industry challenges, by running competitions, offering support and providing a platform for industry actors engage in the future of shipping.
Recently, the OOC selected its top five entrepreneurial ventures, to be presented to potential investors. They are:
- Z Ships: Championing Zero emission boats, vessels and fleets (Jose Luis Gutierrez, Upcycle the Gyres Society)
- Polymore: Providing recycling useful tools to create useful products from waste plastic (Bart Bleijerveld en Laura Talsma, Better Future Factory)
- Slow Mill: Converting light wave energy (Erwin Croughs)
- COSWEC: Creating technology which continuously converts Ocean Wave Energy (Menno Broers)
- Protecting with Nature: Using biological processes to protect static steel constructions from corrosion (Harald van der Mijle Meijer, TNO and Edwin Foekema, Imares)